M.S. in Mental Health Counseling
365备用网址APPBecome licensed to treat adults/children with emotional, mental, and physical challenges through Fisher’s master’s in mental health counseling program.
The program prepares you for work in a number of different settings, including:
- Community agencies
- Managed behavioral health care organizations
- Outpatient mental health programs
- Residential treatment and rehabilitation settings
- Substance abuse treatment programs
- Schools and corporations with employee assistance programs
- Colleges and universities
- Private practice
Two options exist within the program. You can earn either your master's degree or advanced certificate in mental health counseling. The latter is ideal if you already possess a master's degree in counseling or a related discipline but wish to build upon your educational foundation in the field.
365备用网址APPThe curriculum examines the psychological foundations of mental health and related developmental issues. The role of diagnostic assessment, including both its strengths and limitations, is a focal point of the program.
Courses offer you in-depth, practical insight into counseling areas such as:
- Professional identity
- Social and cultural diversity
- Human growth and development
- Helping relationships
- Career development
- Group work
- Program evaluation
- Evidence-based intervention skills
Sixty credit hours – which can be obtained in two years of full-time study or 3.5 years part-time – are required for the master's degree. The advanced certificate is awarded after the successful completion of 18 credit hours of required classes.
Late afternoon and evening classes help you work toward your degree or certification with minimal interruption to your busy schedule.